In photography, the effort you make in defining your own creative vision can have a substantial impact on the end result of your images …
Attaining a fresh approach is equal parts … observation … inspiration … and application.
A strong creative photographer works to continually fine-tune his senses, filling his utility belt with the strategies and techniques necessary to return to that place where inspiration resides and application is achieved.
No matter who you are or your experience with photography, creativity is your opportunity to share your unique vision. In a world inundated with photographs, images with a creative flair resonate.
With that in mind, here’s a list of creative superpowers that you can continue to refine to keep yourself at the top of your game:
- Focus – Find the right environment or situations that provide you with laser-like focus
- Vision – Insight is gained by seeing through the eyes of others; spend time in the environment you are photographing and the people with which you wish to make a connection
- Knowledge – The broader and deeper the vein of information you mine about a setting, situation or subject, the more potential insight you have to deliver to your audience
- Fearlessness – Don’t be afraid to step out on a ledge, peak in a doorway or step into a dark alley. Get out early. Stay later. Shoot from a lower angle. The risks are higher. But so are the rewards
- Tenacity – Be willing to push forward, past what is easiest and most obvious
- Observation – You can’t comprehend the big picture until you are willing to grasp the details
- Communication – Understand that communication is the key component in getting your idea, concept or photographic project off the ground and eventually conveying what you see to others in the form of photographs
- Passion – We’re so much more committed to the things that we love to do; make all of your efforts something that you love to do
- Faith – The leap of faith metaphor is a strong one. There’s a reason why it resonates
- Implementation – Learn to love the execution as much as the ideation and your creative ideas and images will soar